07 February 2012

Learning the Life of a Sydneysider

    As I start to settle into life in Sydney, I try to remind myself every day to take things as they come and not build my plans around expectations. Some days this is harder than others, but I try to remind myself to just take it day by day and enjoy every minute.
    Surf Camp was quite an experience. The days consisted of eating, surfing, sleeping, eating, surfing, eating, sleeping, repeat. While I was exhausted at the end of the day, it was a lot of fun. I was able to stand up on the board a few times, had some cute Aussie surf coaches to help me along the way, and made some really good friends. I am not sure if I will take up any more surfing while I am in Oz, but it was definitely an experience I am glad I had. Never again will I be able to say that I surfed the waves on the Australian East Coast :) Below are a few shots of me in action!

         Upon returning back to Sydney, my goal has been to find an apartment. However, this is a more stressful task then I initially anticipated. Many apartments inside the city center are filled with 8-10 people in a two bedroom apartment and most of the flat mates are backpackers, not Aussies. I don't think that is exactly what I am looking for, so I have asked my program to help me pick some suburbs outside the city to continue my search. I am trying to find another solo traveler, or two, who is in the same boat as me and who wants to apartment hunt together. If I have a group of two or more, my program will set me up with this housing program that takes you and your friends around the city to furnished, affordable apartments. So that is currently the route I am trying to go as I try to find a place to live. Although I initially hoped to be out of the hostel within a week, it seems I may have to get used to hostel life for a bit longer as I apartment hunt.
    Aside from the recent events, things are good here in Oz. Since I have nothing else extremely exciting to report, I think I will end some post with a few pictures of what I've been up to. Yay! Enjoy ;)





2 comments:

  1. I love that last picture - great close to the post and opening to the future. Way to go, hon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You looked pretty good up on that surfboard, Abby! Seems like you're adjusting to life down under very well. Looking forward to the next update!

    ReplyDelete